Tuesday, June 24, 2014

DIY Mixed Media Wall Art

Tonight's DIY is a Mixed Media Wall Art that you can make totally your own! 
Let me show you what I mean...

To start off with, I was actually inspired by a tutorial my mom found on Pinterest. 
She took that tutorial to guide her to make a great piece for their bedroom. 
I'm so proud of her!


I, on the other hand, took it and made it totally my own... Wild and crazy. 


The whole reason I went down a different road with this project was because I fell in love with the scrapbook paper! Which surprisingly wouldn't be a normal choice for me, so I went with it before I changed my mind!

Here's how I did it! Feel free to use it as a guide to make it your own.

All the materials were purchased from Michael's: 
Canvas
Wood plaque
Scrapbook paper
Modge Podge
Wood scroll
Felt
Hot glue gun
Paint & Spray paint


The first step was to trace the scrapbook paper to match the size of the wood plaque.


You simply turn the wood and scrapbook paper over and use a pencil to trace the very inside of the plaque groove. 


It may not end up perfect due to the tracing, but that's okay!


Before gluing on the paper, the rest of the wooden plaque that will still be showing needs to be spray painted. Remember: thin coats!


While the spray paint is try, you can work on getting the background canvas painted with acrylic paint!


You will notice that I didn't paint the middle of the canvas... no need to waste paint on something that will be completely cover! 
Also, I loved using the black paint! There was only need for ONE coat, which is a miracle.


Once you have the wooden scroll spray painted you are set to start attaching the pieces.


Handy Dandy Modge Podge! My favorite is the one made for paper... I haven't had much success with the others. 


Once again, it's all in the thin coats! 
I put it on the paper first and the laid it on the wood. Then I went back to add more to the corners to really adhere it. 


May be hard to see, but it's not perfectly even... and that's okay!
The perfectionist is learning!!! (or relaxing)


Now, in the tutorial and my mom's project they used a monogram letter.
It turns out super cute, but I'm just not a fan of monograms. 
Instead, I wanted to do something different. At first I wanted to use the word "create," but then I figured out it really wouldn't fit on the board right. 
So instead, I decided to recreate one of the flowers on the scrapbook paper out of felt!


This is where some people call me crazy, I'm more of a free hander than an exact science kind of girl... so I just started cutting things out and laying the colors down. 


I used the flower in the top left corner above to be my guide for recreating the flower. 


I got the whole flower done in the basic shape using half circles...


And then I went back and rounded them off more to better match the paper. 
(See the petal directly under the center)


Ta-Done! Well, maybe not. I decided it wasn't 3D enough and I wanted to add more of a border to the flower...


So I added the white felt underneath each petal. 
Just glue the pink piece down on the white felt using a hot glue gun and then cut it out with a little extra white for the border. 


All laid out and ready to go!


Use the hot glue gun to glue it all together one layer at a time. 


When the flower was done it was time to attach it all together using a hot glue gun! YAY!
First was the wooden scroll attached to the scrapbooked wooden plaque... 


Then the flower was added...


And then it was all glued onto the canvas! 
Here you can see the complete project on my parent's wall for some quick pictures. 


A side picture to show you the little 3D-ness this project has!


I believe I will be putting it on a crisp, white wall in the craft room!

Hopefully you enjoyed this wild and crazy rendition of a subtle monogram wall art. 
Remember, you can always find an amazing project and still MAKE IT YOUR OWN!!

Creatively Yours, 
Audra

No comments:

Post a Comment