Thursday, February 2, 2012

Looking Back on January


The first month has passed in the three.six.five Happiness project. I have learned a lot about myself so far, and I know there is much more growth to go. Some of my tasks that I selected for Energy ended up being much easier than others. Some of the others proved to be a challenge still.

For SLEEP SMARTER, I did get to bed at a more reasonable hour. I also had less of the keeping the lights on, but not so much with the use of the phone. Before bed I wound down, usually reading with lower lights. I find this really relaxing and tend to fall asleep much quicker. The one that I did the worst on would probably be no naps on the weekdays... when I get bored, exhausted from work, or just need a break I usually take a nap after work. Yes, I know... lazy. It's easy for me to do because I don't have kids at home and other responsibilites. So I know this is one that I will continue to work on.

For EXERCISE BETTER, I did exercise but not enough. I started a workout schedule program that I got from Pinterest, but by the end of the month I kept putting it off and having to do two workouts in one day. I also didn't walk the dog like I should have, because of those darn naps. By the time we both woke up, it was getting dark and cold out. So if I get rid of those naps, I can get the time to walk to dog in order. I will also work on getting in more than one excercise time a day. I really want to reach my weight loss goal, but I know I have to work hard in this area to succeed.

For HEALTHIER INTAKE, I feel like I improved a bit, but it is definitely something I could work harder on as well. I did for sure drink more water, because I took a hospital cup with me to work and would enjoy water while I was working out or taking a bubble bath, instead of my usual wine. I also did cut down on the pop and usually kept it before 5. I could however make a better effort towards the fresh fruits and veggies. Even though I don't like veggies to begin with, I know it is important to healthy eating. I saw this portion control guide on Pinterest that I am looking into purchasing.

For TOSS, RESTORE, ORGANIZE I didn't do as well as I hoped at all. Even though Ioooove checklists, I found out that if I have too much on a checklist then I get overwhelmed and don't get anything done. Kinda defeats the purpose don't you think? So I did not get the closets and the loft organized. Which will be a priority this month so I can really get started on the Oasis Room. I did get the cleaning schedule planned and made... just didn't put it to work. So that will get started next week after I get my darn house picked up. I really want to get this part of life under control because I really do feel like walking into a clean house actually relieves stress. Also, cleaning as I go would take a lot less time than cleaning a lot in one setting.

Finally, for PRIORITIZE, I think I may have done the best in this area. When I could remember the one minute rule (get something done now that could take less than a minute) I acted upon it. I also went through my old e-mails and deleted them, while making sure I replied to e-mails right away. If I just let things sit there I tend to forget about them. Doing things now, not later and don't get too close to a due date were doing okay until my night class started again... it's pretty easy to put off writing a paper, haha. So that will be another thing to continue working on.

Because energy is so important to getting things done and happiness itself, I will CONTINUE to work on ALL of the tasks for this past month. I will be focusing on the eating better and exercising more.

----------------------------------------

For the Bucket List I also crossed off the first two items: PHOTOBOOTH and DO SOMETHING OUT OF CHARACTER. So I'm going to have to get a move on with those as well, seeing as there are only 50 more things to go. I think February will be a good month for this though! I will be starting a Co-Ed volleyball team and I am so excited for it! :)

----------------------------------------

This month also marked the beginning of the Variety Book Challenge. I figured that in order to be successful with this, I would have to read about 9 books a month... which one book about every three days! Yep, it's a lot of reading and it's a good thing I enjoy it so much. In January, I read 10 books: 9 from my list and 1 that was not, which may just end up on the Top Books of the Year ironically! So the list below is updated with the books I have read in bold, along with the dates I read them in. Once again, see my book review site to see what I thought about each read.

(The New) Variety Book Challenge 2012

Animals:
- Stay by Allie Larkin 1/09-1/11
- I’m Not the Biggest Bitch in this Relationship by Stephanie Klein
- The Purpose of Dogs by W. Bruce Cameron
- Cesar’s Way by Cesar Millan
- Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe
Celebrities:
- High Voltage Tattoo by Kat VonD
- Confessions of a Guidette by Nicole Polizzi
- The Fame Game by Lauren Conrad
- Sliding Into Home by Kendra Wilkinson 1/12-1/15
- Elixir by Hilary Duff
Comedians:
- Life As I Blow It by Sarah Calonna
- Don’t Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings by Tyler Perry
- Seriously, I’m Kidding by Ellen Degeneres
- I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max 1/20-1/26
- Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man by Steve Harvey 1/04-1/07
Controversial:
- I am J by Cris Beam
- Unplanned  by Abby Johnson
- The Chosen One by Carol Williams
- Tweak by Nic Sheff
- Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
Cultural:
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Sold by Patricia McCormick
- The Secret Daughter by Shilipi Somaya Gowda
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie 1/04
- A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
Historical Fiction:
- True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy 1/07-1/08
- The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew
- Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
- One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
Inspirational:
- 5 Love Languages, Singles Edition by Gary Chapman
- How Did My Life Become a Game of Twister? by Mary Pierce
- 20 Someone by Craig Dunham & Doug Serven
- Worn Out Woman by Dr. Steve Stephens & Alice Gray
- Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst
Living Life:
- Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti
- No Regrets by Sarah Ivens
- Life After College by Jenny Blake
- twentysomething by Margaret Feinberg
- Life is a Verb by Patti Digh
Memoirs:
- Year of Yes by Maria Dahvana Headley
- Sickened by Julie Gregory
- License to Pawn by Rick Harrison
- Save Karyn by Karyn Bosnak
- Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch
Overcoming Odds:
- The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon
- Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
- A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
- Saving Max by Antoinette van Heugten
Romance:
- There’s Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder
- Overkill by Linda Castillo
- Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
- PS I Love You by Cecila Ahern
- What Came First by Carol Snow
Science:
- The Secret Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 1/20-1/29
- Forensics and Fiction by D.P. Lyle, M.D.
- Babies by Design by Ronald M. Green
- Bonk by Mary Roach
- Death’s Acre by William M. Bass
Self-Help:
- Single by Jody Ford
- Why Mean Love Bitches by Sherry Argov
- Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
- Make Peace with Your Thighs by Dr. Linda Mintle
- On My Own Two Feet by Manisha Thakor
Series:
- Women’s Murder Club by James Patterson
- Chelsea Handler Comedy Books
*Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang* 1/17-1/19
- Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
- Kay Scarpettta Novels by Patricia Cornwell
*From Potter's Field* -1/03
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
Teaching:
- Choice Words by Peter H. Johnston
- Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay & David Funk
- 32 Third Graders & One Class Bunny by Phillip Done
- 3 Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin
- Freedom Writers by Erin Gruwell
Time/Realms:
- My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares
- The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- 10 Best Days of My Life by Adena Halpern
- Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch
- Radiance by Alyson Noel 1/23-1/26

Extras: 
Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner 1/15-1/17 

Little bit of happiness: Laying in bed listening to the thunderstorm! It just doesn't happen very often.
Daily quote: Things that go wrong often make the best memories.
Cheers to Happiness,
Audra

No comments:

Post a Comment