Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Child Abuse Awareness Month


Seeing as April is Child Abuse Awareness Month it seems like an appropriate time for the meeting I had about getting my foster care license. For the most part I knew most of what was address because growing up I had foster brothers and sisters. It was interesting that the license process takes much longer to complete than I originally thought. It's a 10 week program, but that can actually stretch out over time and then you have to do bakground checks and house walkthroughs. Sounds like it will take more like 8 months to finish. Also, they said it was important to have temporary houses that do respite care for other foster families. This is like if a family needs a break or vacation the kids can go to the other house as needed. I'm thinking this might be a great idea for me so I am not committed to the same kids for an extended period of time until I am ready. But we will see... lots of time to decide!

Here is a video from Youthville about Foster Care from the child's perspective:


Maybe this is too much of a commitment, but you still want to help out with Children in Need of Care (CINC)... Court Appointed Special Advocates is another amazing organization in the area. You would be volunteering to meet with children and advocate their needs to the court. I volunteered and worked at the office in Manhattan and am very passionate about their cause.


And if you still think that's a little much for you... there's always Big Brothers, Big Sisters.

There is ALWAYS something that can be done to help children in need!! They are our future and we must protect the innocent children that have not been taken care of in the way that they deserve. I would never wish a child to have to need these organizations, but the reality is that they are needed for very good reasons. The stories of these kids and the ones that I was raised around are heartbreaking and I would do anything to give these kids the life the deserve. I look forward to what my journey into foster care brings me.



Day 07: Your favorite childhood toys.

The toys I remember are probably different than the ones that my parents remember. When I was born there was a teddy bear I was given that was named "Lizzy Bear." That thing looks worn out, but I still have her. I loved the electric JEEP Eli and I rode around the neighborhood on... in my t-shirt dresses my great-grandmother made. A lot of memories growing up involved the big cotton tree in our backyard. I know that isn't a toy, but it provided many hours of entertainment. A lot of my other favorite toys included dolls that look so real they are creepy.

Little bit of happiness: I have been excited about this meeting for a while and I am even more excited to get started in the process. I hope to make some sort of difference in the lives of others.
Daily quote: Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go right.
Cheers to Happiness,
Audra

No comments:

Post a Comment