Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Influence Change

On my Bucket List for the year I have the task of "influence change." I think every teacher influences the life of kids, so I really didn't want to use something from my teaching experience as "influencing change." However, after today I decided that this year the students in my class have made some remarkable progress and have influenced me as well. There are four kids that stick out in my mind.

- One kiddo hated school and especially reading. This year they has made leaps and bounds in reading and I love to see how proud they are of themself now. They volunteer to read and don't fight me kicking and screaming anymore. Also, they told me earlier in the year, "this is the first year I've had a teacher who didn't hate me." Sad, but I'm glad that they feel comfortable in my room.

- Another student was alright with reading, but since being introduced to the Hunger Games in February it has been a snowball affect. Last year they got 100 AR points for the first time, this week they made it to 600!!! WOWZERS!

- I had a new student at the beginning of second semester. It's been a struggle for them to get caught up, however this week they had a break through. Even though her grades aren't so hot, they came up to me and said, "I talked to my mom last night and even though my grades aren't where I want them to be I realized something.... I actually love school now!" I was completely surprised, but love it!

- Finally, the kiddo that has made the most progress is one that I was honestly scared to have. Last year, I could hear them rip roaring up and down the hallway screaming and yelling. It was just not a good situation. When they walked into my room this year they were a completely different kid. We have our issues at times, but at the game tonight when they actually came up and gave me a hug in front of their friends I really have hope that they has been changed for the better.
I'm hoping that there will be more chances for me to influence change, outside of my role as a teacher. I know that if I do get started with foster care that will be another way for sure.


Day 13: Somewhere you'd like to move or visit.
Seattle is absolutely gorgeous and has some amazing little shops and markets. Even though it might be rainy, it usually never snows there because it is so close to water. Which I'm not a fan of snow, so I would love that! Really, it's not where I would move but who I would be with. However, I would like to experience a big city at some point. I would be okay with visiting just about anywhere. I would like to go to New York City, San Francisco, Las Vegas, even all the way to Africa and back to Mexico or any other place with a beach. As you can tell, I'm not very picky when it comes to traveling.

Little bit of happiness: This afternoon I went to watch the girl's softball team. The weather was beautiful and the girls creamed their competition, even run ruling them in the second game. I'm not a fan of baseball or softball, but when it goes that fast I think I can hang!
Daily quote: "Intelligence is not enough. Intellegence plus character... that is the true goal of education." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Cheers to Happiness,
Audra

No comments:

Post a Comment