Monday, April 2, 2012

Looking Back on March

March came and went quickly. Still finding a challenge to get everything done I would like. However, I feel I did make progress this month when it comes to one of the things that creates the biggest stress in our lives: MONEY.

For SAVINGS, I went half and half on being successful. I did save the one dollar bill that I did receive, but still need to find a jar of some sort to collect them in before adding them into my savings account. I also put any loose change that I had into the piggy bank. I plan on cashing this in at the end of the year and adding that amount to my saving account, or maybe even spend it on something special. I did not do so hot on getting large amounts of money in my savings account because I was trying to get things paid off. However, I will be making up for this when I get my tax refund money back.

For SPENDINGS, I did fairly well. I did not start paying with cash. I am still in the process of finishing Dave Ramsey's book and need to do some more work in figuring out how to budget expenses in each area according to percents and needs. Confusing. I'm think that I may just start off with a chunk of money and go from there. I definitely had to budget for fun this month as I had Spring Break and went to Fake Patty's Day with friends and Kansas City with my mom. Luckily, I don't do those kind of things on a regular basis, so other months I will have that money to use elsewhere. I did much better with online browsing, in my opinion. I only did online shopping when I already knew what I was looking for. Where I live there aren't many stores, so online shopping is sometimes mandatory in order to get what you are wanting. Finally, I felt like I did have much better self-control because I did not have to use my credit cards and still had money left over at the end of the month. Even though I did well, there's always room for improvement!

For MAKING, I did a lot of things to get ready for each of the tasks, but didn't really put them into action. I think I would like to find a bartending job for the summer, but I have no applied yet because I don't want to start doing that during the school year. I would like the night job because I still want to work on my huge list of stuff for school during the day. I also have a list in mind of things I plan on selling on eBay, and the buy/sell/trade group on Facebook. Plan on getting rid of everything that I don't use or need. Let someone else use my trash for their clutter. I also have got together books that I will be taking to Hastings to get credit for, and any books that they can't take back I will be entering on Amazon. After that I will probably donate what is left. Finally, I got started with furthering my education as I applied for graduate school and Emporia State, and signed up for the GRE. Unfortunately, this is one of those things where you have to spend money to make money.

For TRACKING I didn't do so hot. To me keeping track of everything all the time is just annoying. I'm thinking that in order to do this I might have to have my Internet homepage as my bank and constantly have a tab up and running. I also need to find my money organizer that I got last year to put receipts and also put the allotted cash envelopes in. Basically, I need to pay more attention and stop being lazy with this.
 
Finally, for RIDDING, I think I did better but I am looking forward to making more progress with this. I did not use my credit cards, but did not pay as much off as I would like. Cutting down on the spending from trips and other areas will free up more money for this. I am putting Dave Ramsey's idea of the Snowball Effect into place by paying the smallest account first and working my way up to loans. When I get my tax refund money back the first thing I will be doing is paying off two cards. I can already feel the weight lifting off my shoulders!

Once again I will CONTINUE to work on ALL of the tasks for this past month. Money is a major stressor in my life so I know that ridding myself of debt and spending problems will make life much more enjoyable.
----------------------------------------

For the Bucket List I only crossed off three items: VOLLEYBALL LEAGUE, POST SECRET and COOK SOMETHING NEW. Doing a little better, but will still have to pick up the pace this summer. Co-Ed Volleyball was a lot of fun and I think we spent more time laughing than actually playing. Post Secret is when you send in a secret on postcards anonymously. They put the cards on their website and even in their books they publish. So maybe, just maybe this will help me with completing one of my list items: publish something. I also cooked something new: Spinach and Feta Omelettes. I had never made omelettes before and thought it would be super difficult, but it really wasn't that bad! And it was so yummy, kind of obsessed with them right now. May not be very difficult, but I have plenty more recipes that I will be trying in the future. In April I will be still working on losing weight, starting orientation for Foster Care, vote for our school bond issue, starting a Martial Arts class, and maybe even some more. Good times ahead!
----------------------------------------

In March, I once again read 10 books: 9 from my list and 1 that was not. So the list below is updated with the books I have read in bold, along with the dates I read them in. Once again, see my book review site to see what I thought about each read.
(The New) Variety Book Challenge 2012
Animals:
- Stay by Allie Larkin 1/09-1/11
- I’m Not the Biggest Bitch in this Relationship by Stephanie Klein
- The Purpose of Dogs by W. Bruce Cameron 2/01-2/22- Cesar’s Way by Cesar Millan
- Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe
Celebrities:
- High Voltage Tattoo by Kat VonD 3/13- Confessions of a Guidette by Nicole Polizzi
- The Fame Game by Lauren Conrad
- Sliding Into Home by Kendra Wilkinson 1/12-1/15
- Elixir by Hilary Duff
Comedians:
- Life As I Blow It by Sarah Calonna
- Don’t Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings by Tyler Perry
- Seriously, I’m Kidding by Ellen Degeneres 2/11-2/12- I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max 1/20-1/26
- Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man by Steve Harvey 1/04-1/07
Controversial:
- I am J by Cris Beam
- Unplanned by Abby Johnson
- The Chosen One by Carol Williams 2/05- Tweak by Nic Sheff
- Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult 3/13-3/17
Cultural:
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Sold by Patricia McCormick
- The Secret Daughter by Shilipi Somaya Gowda
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie 1/04
- A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
Historical Fiction:
- True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy 1/07-1/08
- The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew
- Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
- One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
Inspirational:
- 5 Love Languages, Singles Edition by Gary Chapman
- How Did My Life Become a Game of Twister? by Mary Pierce
- 20 Someone by Craig Dunham & Doug Serven
- Worn Out Woman by Dr. Steve Stephens & Alice Gray
- Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst
Living Life:
- Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti
- No Regrets by Sarah Ivens
- Life After College by Jenny Blake
- twentysomething by Margaret Feinberg
- Life is a Verb by Patti Digh
Memoirs:
- Year of Yes by Maria Dahvana Headley
- Sickened by Julie Gregory
- White Girl Problems by Babe Walker 2/16-2/20
- Save Karyn by Karyn Bosnak 2/23-2/27
- Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch
Overcoming Odds:
- The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon 2/20-2/26- Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
- A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
- Saving Max by Antoinette van Heugten
Romance:
- There’s Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder
- Overkill by Linda Castillo
- Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
- PS I Love You by Cecila Ahern 2/12-2/15- What Came First by Carol Snow
Science:
- The Secret Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 1/20-1/29
- Forensics and Fiction by D.P. Lyle, M.D.
- Babies by Design by Ronald M. Green
- Bonk by Mary Roach
- Death’s Acre by William M. Bass
Self-Help:
- Single by Jody Ford
- Why Mean Love Bitches by Sherry Argov
- Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
- Make Peace with Your Thighs by Dr. Linda Mintle
- On My Own Two Feet by Manisha Thakor
Series:
- Women’s Murder Club by James Patterson
*4th of July* 3/18-3/19
- Chelsea Handler Comedy Books
*Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang* 1/17-1/19
- Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins FINISHED!
*Hunger Games* 2/08-2/11
*Catching Fire* 2/26-2/28
*Mockingjay* 3/7-3/13

- Kay Scarpettta Novels by Patricia Cornwell
*From Potter's Field* -1/03
*Cause of Death* 2/05-2/08
*Unnatural Exposure* 3/3-3/7
*Point of Origin* 3/19-3/22

- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
*The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo* 3/4-3/27 AB
Teaching:
- Choice Words by Peter H. Johnston
- Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay & David Funk
- 32 Third Graders & One Class Bunny by Phillip Done
- 3 Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin
- Freedom Writers by Erin Gruwell
Time/Realms:- My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares
- The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- 10 Best Days of My Life by Adena Halpern
- Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch
- Radiance by Alyson Noel 1/23-1/26
Extras:
Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner 1/15-1/17
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 1/26-2/04
Unwind by Neal Shusterman 3/27-3/30
Little bit of happiness: Today I had to our "Give A Hoot About Reading" bulletin board because one of my students made 500 AR Points!! I had to add a cloud above the tree where they move their owls. Proud teacher!
Daily quote: When you are going through something hard and wonder where God is remember the teacher is always quiet during a test.
Cheers to Happiness,
Audra

No comments:

Post a Comment